But then, there was major trouble, as I blogged at the time: the sleeves, knitted as recommended in the pattern, were in reality way too long and I only realised it once I had sewn most of the pieces together. I blame beginner’s naivety, I just trusted the pattern would be correct.
It turned out to be a major hassle to correct the error. Firstly, my newly sewn seams which I had so carefully back-stitched, were pretty bomb-proof, nearly impossible to undo. And of course I managed to cut several pieces of yarn in the knitting, making quite a few holes. To cut a long and frustrating story short, I ended up unravelling and reknitting both of the sleeves and a quarter of the front body. It almost felt like knitting the jumper twice.
In the end though, the jumper turned out to be very nice and the hubby really likes it. Now that it has been worn for a while, it has stretched quite a bit (it’s quite a heavy jumper and my knitting was quite loose) and consequently it’s a bit on the large side. With hindsight, I should have gone one or two needle sizes smaller (no, I didn’t swatch before starting – another lesson learned).
Another thing I’ve already noticed about the yarn is that it is piling quite heavily. I suspect Rowan Cocoon, lovely, soft, cuddly and warm though it is, is not the most durable yarn.
So needless to say, it was a
frustrating educational project. Here are some of the things I learned:
– never trust the pattern too much – measure things properly and keep checking as you knit
– back-stitching the seams is a bit of an overkill and not easy to undo if there’s any trouble. Luckily I found some really handy tips on seams on the Twist Collective magazine. In the end I chose to crochet the seams and that was much quicker and easier. I’m guessing the crocheted seams would be far easier to unravel too.